Monday, February 9, 2009

I Totally Love The 80's

I LOVE the 80's! The movies, the music...the clothes...the fashion!

I'm not sure what it is about this decade, but part of me will always remain within it...watching and re-watching all of the John Hughes flicks that are "classics" today and all of the other flicks from that decade like "Flashdance," "Dirty Dancing," "Risky Business," and I think you can name a few of your favorites...

To me, these movies represent a time when our views, our ecomony, our worlds...were moving up. Most of my memories from my life in the 80's are from the age of 1 until 10, I don't remember much before the age of 5, but what I do remember of the 80's is me and my family...happy. My parents, aunts, uncles and cousins were focusing on building careers and wealth. They were, in a sense, where I am right now. When I pop in one of my 80's flicks, I take myself back in time....wishing I was back in the 80's, but at a different age...like 22....I'm TOTALLY a freak, right?

To me, the music of the 80's is a daily-fed addiction. From the music in the car to the music I play at the office, to the music I've made all of my recent house guests listen to whenever they are over...the hits of the 80's. Mostly, though, the pop and classic rock from the 80's. Some of my favorite bands include The Police, Simple Minds, Pat Benetar, The Cure...and countless others. When I pop in one of these bands' albums, my attitude changes. I'm able to shut the rest of the world out and go back in time...to that "happy" time. I don't think about anyone, not even myself. I'm transformed and all I want to do is sing and dance. Again, I'm TOTALLY a freak, right?





From "Message in A Bottle" by The Police

I'll send an SOS to the world, I'll send an SOS to the world, I hope that someone gets my Message in a bottle






From "The Breakfast Club"



Brian Johnson: Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...


Andrew Clark: ...and an athlete...


Allison Reynolds: ...and a basket case...


Claire Standish: ...a princess...


John Bender: ...and a criminal...


Brian Johnson: Does that answer your question?... Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.



What movies, music, decade transforms you?

No comments: