Monday, February 23, 2009

From the Heart...

It has taken me all day to get to the point where I could write this. I'm sure I'll reach the point of tears, yet again, before I'm done.


Over the past 8 months, I have watched a family of friends endure the journey of terminal lung cancer. This journey came to an end on Saturday, February 21, 2009, with the passing of Johnny Ray Williams. Johnny is the father of one of my best friends, Scarlett.


There are few words that can describe what it's like to lose a father, friend, and husband. Instead of bombarding this family with words, I've covered them with love, hugs, hand holding and prayer. I've been crying off and on for the past thirty or so hours, for reasons other than this loss, but mostly because of this loss. Scarlett is not the first friend I've seen go through the loss of a parent, she won't be the last, and I know that one day I'll be in her shoes. The thought saddens me, but the reality reminds me of God's plan for each of us...that we each have a purpose on this Earth and that we will one day be in Heaven with Him.


In a blog post in July of 2008, Rene (Johnny's wife and Scarlett's mother) mentions a story in which Johnny said that if something happened to him, he'd come back to her and Scarlett as a butterfly. I've remembered that story, and I know that for as long as I live I will think of this dear man and his family every time I see a butterfly. What a unique and beautiful creature to have as a reminder of a loved one.


Last summer, I traveled to Orlando in time to see the flower festival at Epcot. It was there that I photographed this butterly on a flower.



"Trust in the Lord will all your heart and lean not to your own understanding."

Proverbs 3:5


I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of my true friends for being there for me, now and since the day we became friends. I cherish my true friends and it is in knowing, in word and in deed, that they are there for me I have purpose on this Earth. I'll always be there for you, too.


I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my family for their love and support of me over the years, and especially now. As time has gone by, I've realized more and more how dear you are to me, especially you - Mary.


1 comment:

Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Thanks for your tears for my dad! And your friendship!